2015 Off to Quite a Start
By Richard Langseth
2015 is off to quite the start with many catastrophic Natural Disasters already this year. With record snowfall in Boston, a massive earthquake in Nepal, tornadoes in Oklahoma, and significant flooding in Texas, it’s time to ask yourself two simple questions:
1) Is my organization’s Disaster Preparedness Plan well documented and up to date?
2) How long has it been since the plan was tested – literally activated to make certain everything works as we hope?
If there’s any doubt in your mind, it might be time to take a fresh look. Key considerations include:
• Do my on site assets have sufficient electrical backup power?
• Do I have redundancy in my network connections (critically important if major assets are off site)
• Are those critical assets protected against water, weather, and fire?
• How will we get an early alert if a problem arises?
• What is backed up off site? How recently? How hard is it to restore that data?
• Are key tasks and responsibilities well documented/well understood?
• Are details as simple as cell phone numbers up to date? Key vendor contacts?
• Who/how/when will there be communication with employees? Customers? Providers?
If these items are not reviewed at least annually, today would be a good day to start. Quick before the next disaster strikes!
TechKnowledge Consulting Corporation is a Houston based technology consulting company with clients throughout the state of Texas. We provide strategic Technology, Audio/Visual, and Security planning, design, upgrade, relocation and project management services for a variety of progressive corporations. Call (713) 840-7800 for specific information on any of our services.
“Technology evolves at a rapid pace and clients expect us to craft a long term vision that will withstand the test of time. We have clients who compliment the benefit of our vision more than 15 years later.”- Dave Jacobs, President/CEO TechKnowledge