2015 Off to Quite a Start
2015 is off to quite the start with many catastrophic Natural Disasters already this year. With record snowfall in Boston, a massive earthquake in Nepal, tornadoes in Oklahoma, and significant flooding in Texas, it’s time to ask yourself two simple questions:
- Is my organization’s Disaster Preparedness Plan well documented and up to date?
- How long has it been since the plan was tested – literally activated to make certain everything works as we hope?
- If there’s any doubt in your mind, it might be time to take a fresh look. Key considerations include:
- Do my on site assets have sufficient electrical backup power?
- Do I have redundancy in my network connections (critically important if major assets are off site)
- Are those critical assets protected against water, weather, and fire?
- How will we get an early alert if a problem arises?
- What is backed up off site? How recently? How hard is it to restore that data?
- Are key tasks and responsibilities well documented/well understood?
- Who/how/when will there be communication with employees? Customers? Providers?
- Who, how, when will there be communication with employees? Customers? Providers?
If these items are not reviewed at least annually, today would be a good day to start. Quick before the next disaster strikes!